Are you a talented Backend Developer with a passion for travel? If you love well maintained code and collaborative environments where you can innovate, read on. We are on the search for a dedicated Backend Developer with creative ideas that will help to realise our best business ideas and serve travellers in the greatest way possible.
We are curious and innovative with a passion for travel. Our purpose is to create connections that leave lasting impressions, enabling travellers from all around the world to explore the best of Europe.
We love passionate people with a global outlook who share our company values, and who seeking out new ways of growing. We pride ourselves on our diversity, with colleagues from 33 countries, each bringing a fresh perspective.
We put our customers at the heart of all that we do, constantly innovating to improve our products and utilising technology to create a unique experience.
This is a hands-on role that will take our digital experiences to a new level of excellence. You will ensure the readiness of our backend related projects and initiatives, for instance:
- Building components in the eCommerce system;
- Building a self-service train reservations platform for customers;
- Developing the ePass – our ultimate project to offer ePasses to our customers, instead of printed Passes.
Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic and the definition and maintenance of our code. You will ensure high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end, taking into account scalability and peak traffic. You will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by your colleagues into the application so a basic understanding of front-end technologies is necessary.
You and your new team will build, maintain and support our existing sites throughout the product lifecycle, including implementing functional enhancements and resolving issues. Your playground will consist of an AWS environment (elastic compute cloud, lambda, kubernetes) with Adobe Experience Manager as the CMS and commercetools as the eCommerce engine.
You will join forces with our IT team and will work closely with suppliers, product owners, a QA team, IT eCommerce specialist, solution architect and front-end developers following an Agile/Scrum methodology. Next to that you will get the chance to work alongside other IT, marketing and eCommerce experts in cross-functional teams.
Boxes to tick
You are the Backend Developer we are looking for if you have the following characteristics:
- Familiar with, or happy to learn how to use our main back-end system commercetools and our other back-end systems;
- Experience using SDKs and Java 8 and Java 11, Spring stack;
- Familiar in developing (non-relational) databases such as DynamoDB (or at least theoretical knowledge);
- Experience working with Source Code Management Tools (Git), OTAP environments and tools such as Redmine and Jenkins;
- Experience with cloud engineering is a big plus;
- Experience with any scripting languages is a big plus;
- Good understanding of accessibility, security compliance and the OWASP security principles;
- Experience or willingness to work Agile/Scrum;
- Driven and focussed on achieving successful results you can be proud of;
- Ability to underspend problems/tasks;
- Ability to read and understand existing code and use it in right way;
- Ability to produce clear code based on companies’ standards;
- Advanced knowledge of OOP, design patterns, decomposition and how to create reusable and testable code;
- Ability to deliver complete feature (requirements – design – implementation – testing – deployment) to production;
- Eagerness to embrace and embody our values: forward-thinking, results-driven, caring and diversity;
Do you have more questions?
You can send questions about this vacancy to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will respond to you as soon as possible.